-
June 30th, 2001, 02:18 AM
#11
Inactive Member
Maybe the term "serial"(as a noun) is a better alternative. That's what they called short, continuous adventure films long ago. "Soap opera" just has too much negative conotation, at least for me. The "soap opera for men" label fits pro wrestling 'coz their continuity(as I understand it to be these days) is as moronic(and if any fans are here, I appologize) as the daytime dramas. "Serial" fits many things: soap operas, pro wrestling, sitcoms(Cheers), comic strips(tho in the last decade or so Funky Winkerbean would sometimes fit "soap opera"), and comic books(superhero books, for sure. Most of the comic books I read are serials, too). Just a loose suggestion.
[This message has been edited by Mibbitmaker (edited June 29, 2001).]
-
June 30th, 2001, 02:41 AM
#12
Inactive Member
-
June 30th, 2001, 02:57 AM
#13
KarmaPolice
Guest
-
June 30th, 2001, 11:26 PM
#14
Inactive Member
. He plants tiny clues that stick in your mind and years later they go off and you say, Of course!
=============================================
You mean like Bill Bell who admits to leaving over 400 unsolved threads on Young& the Restless?.I noticed when I first read Strangers In Paradise that it had unsolved threads all the way through it,in fact you could say that the it was one big unresolved
thread from the beginning .I think Terry is the Bill Bell of Comics. I also like the fact that their is a comic for soap addicts like myself and that comic is Strangers In Pasadise.
------------------
-
July 2nd, 2001, 02:49 AM
#15
Inactive Member
I don't know. What IS a Soap Opera, anyway? I've always thought of SiP as a novel. When I think of the word Soap Opera, SiP doesn't really come to mind. Why do you consider it one? because it's character driven? because it contained elements that one might consider not everyday like? because one of its main characters can't make up who to be with? It really does sound like a novel to me... I truly take the whole it's a 'graphic novel' literally, because that's the way it is.. a novel that happens to be drawn beautifully. But I suppose anyone can see it as they see it fit.
gotta go.
------------------
"I'm telling you stories. Trust me." Jeanette Winterson
-
July 2nd, 2001, 03:09 AM
#16
Inactive Member
SIP is NOT a soap opera in my opinion.
It's a biography!
It's Terry telling us the life stories of 2 girls, a guy and the lives and situations they've been in.
Because some of them have Mafia connections, there is a mafia plot, etc...
Soap Operas are cheesy and artificial, SIP isn't.
It's the best comic ever.
Period.
-
July 3rd, 2001, 12:31 AM
#17
Inactive Member
Just FYI the term soap opera cen't actually apply to Strangers In Paradise because it isn't backed by a soap company which is how the term came about in fact DAYS had to change Tom Horton Sr.'s finding out about polluted waters coming from a soap factory to an industrial revolution because the soap company's that adverted on the show complained .
JD
-
July 3rd, 2001, 02:29 AM
#18
Inactive Member
To my amazement, most of the respondents agree that S.I.P. is a soap opera, albeit an exceptional one. "Dallas" was also called a soap opera, although it ran in prime time and I don't think detergents were advertised on it. Most of my knowledge of and dislike for soap operas comes from "Dallas". I know nothing of Bill Bell. It is possible I am too sensitive on this point, but when I hear S.I.P. being called "a silly soap opera", I get annoyed.
I think the comparison to a novel is an apt one. And hasn't Terry promised an all-text version? In some ways S.I.P. reminds me of "Bleak House" or "Great Expectations" or "The Woman in White". Suspense, surprise, long-kept secrets, cherished grudges, dark crimes, abused children, and love.
-
July 3rd, 2001, 03:13 PM
#19
Inactive Member
you _didnt_ like dallas?!?!?
-
July 5th, 2001, 04:13 PM
#20
Inactive Member
Soap Opera or not, I still love the book and I'll never stop reading. Who cares what it's labeled as so long as you continue to love it... I can understand if people consider calling SiP a soap opera (I don't care for 'em myself) an insult. The beauty of SiP... it can be so many things rolled into one and that's why it appeals to so many people.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks